Facebook Badge

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Dorm Wars, School projects, on being a financial steward and my birthday...



Hey guys! Hope all is going well for you in your lives. Many things are going on in my life right now so lets get started shall we? ;)

This past week we had dorm wars here at our school. Now, I'll admit, I didn't want to participate because I had ALOT of work and working to do here at school so I was really trying to avoid it as much as possible. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out so well. Our team, the girls' apartment aka The Flamingo Chicas, was having a hard time trying to get people involved so I agreed to help with a few competitions but not all of them. So, of course, they had me in arm wrestling, dodge-ball, and tug of war. I didn't think it would be such a big deal and that I wouldn't get hurt... I was wrong...


*Rope burn that stretched from my wrist up to my shoulder*


*Bruise from the rope straining and rubbing against my arm and one of the girl's fists being pinned under my arm during the matches*

LOL! Sorry if this grosses any of y'all out, out there in internet world. Fortunately, these "battle scars" were worth it because in the end our dorm (apartments) won overall! So I'm proud of my girls for working so hard and participating as much as they did and could! Go Flamingo Chicas!! :)

Moving on to other things going on in my life, right now its the last few weeks of the semester here at our school so of course projects are in the processing of being made and turned in. Luckily I finished one of three of mine (12 page paper on the Egyptian gods of the underworld, focusing primarily on Osiris, Isis and Horus). It wasn't fun typing and constructing but it was fun researching and finding out all these different myths and stories connected to these gods. After researching various articles and 15 or so books (including the original transcripts and translated transcripts of the Book of the Dead and Plutarch's "On Isis and Osiris"), I was able to get it done and with a week to spare. Right now, I'm just letting it sit and "breathe" a bit before I look back over one more time for revision and then I'll turn it in. Right now, however, I'm working on my other two projects: an interview paper for my Women's History class in which I had to interview an older woman, 60 or older, and tell of her experiences and how she could be placed in history. My other project, a group project, focuses on the debate of whether or not Christians should participate in military service and show the different perspectives of people from the 2nd and 3rd Century church and people's perspective today. Hoping to get these two done ASAP! We'll see... ;)

Moving on, earlier this week I FINALLY got my refund check from my school so I'm UBER excited about being able to use some of it to get my car. And then my parents called... they called me last night and told me that this woman had come to our house and telling them how she was working on behalf of our landlord (who we hadn't heard from in like over a month because for some reason he's in the hospital... please be in prayer for him) and was demanding our rent for the month or she would have us evicted! (Please continue to pray for my family and that we can get out of this house ASAP!) Unfortunately my family didn't have all the funds to pay for the rent and asked to borrow money. Naturally, I told them I would help them out however I could. I knew that that money had been given to me for a reason. By the grace of God, he gave me far more than enough to get some kind of a car and pay for the deposit at Toccoa Falls. I knew that the rest of that money was going to be used to bless and help my family or anyone else God needed me to use it for. Thankfully, years ago when I was first trying to get out on the mission field, I went through a type of bible study with a group of people at my college ministry that focused on the importance of being a God-centered steward of your finances. By the end of the study, I learned a number of things:

1) Anything and everything that I possess (clothes, finances, etc) were given to me by God.

2) Anything that is given to you by God will not just bless you but others eventually.

3)Learn the difference between what is a need and what is a want.

4) How to split your money: 10% tithe, 10% saving, 80% spending - first for bills and necessities and after that anything left over is for fun!

I also was blessed to hear my pastor at my church, 12 Stone, preach a series called "Economic Atheist" and explained how we, as followers, will trust God with anything and everything else EXCEPT our money. When we act like that, we aren't fully relying on God and really not believing in God to watch out for us and help us in our financial area of our lives. Not believing in God, no matter how small the area is, is being somewhat atheistic. We are either all in on our trust and belief in Him or not at all, we can't be lukewarm (God tells us what he'll do about that - Revelation 3:16). Just some food for thought... ;)

Any who, earlier this week someone was so "kind" to remind me that my 26th birthday was coming up in the next couple of weeks (April 21st). I swear, the older you get, the more your birthdays have the tendency to sneak up on you. Anyways, just to let y'all know I have no idea what I'm doing and in all honesty I'm too busy to really thing about what to do right now. So I don't know... we'll see what happens as it gets closer...

Well, that's it for now! Sorry if this was really long! I hope y'all have a great week ahead and to the students out there, hang in there! We're almost done! Just a couple more weeks! Love y'all! Later days!

~Jeanne;)

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
Hey there! Jeanne here! In case you're wondering, I'm 26 years old in college right now studying History and later to teach it. I love meeting new people and getting to know more about others... especially if I can help them out!!

Wisdom Archive...

  • Watchman Nee
  • Og Mandino
  • Bruce Wilkinson
  • Max Lucado
  • Mitch Albom
  • William P Young
  • JRR Tolkien
  • Oswald Chambers
  • AW Tozer
  • CS Lewis
  • Hannah Hurnard
  • Gene Edwards
  • Richard Foster
  • Dean Sherman
  • Neil Anderson
  • Randy Newman
  • Joyce Meyer
  • Beth Moore

Followers